Subject: Re: Fix signal handler

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 08:23:24 +0100

On 02/03/2010 05:24 PM, Markus Elfring wrote:
> 
>>
>> The general feeling on this list is that patches are listened to, no
>> matter how foul they are, and you will get a (hopefully) polite
>> rejection if it is considered useless because it addresses a problem
>> that doesn't exist.
>>
> 
> I hope that a healthy balance will be found between correct software
> design, development and quick "hacking".

What's considered a "healthy balance" varies from person to person
though.

> There might also be more
> efforts if too many patches will be rejected just because the suggested
> and planned changes were not discussed before.
> 

Perhaps, but those wasted efforts would have been yours, not ours. Sorry,
but the sad fact is that unless you're willing to "fix" this (which you
should show by submitting patches), it's entirely uninteresting to even
discuss it. We're all busy folks here, and we do not have unlimited time
on our hands to masturbate mentally when most of us realize that it's
not a practical approach to blindly follow standards.

> Would you like to get an acknowledgement for signal handler problems
> from people in other discussion groups like "comp.programming.threads"?
> 

No. I have no interest in theoretical best practices for a program that
has no known issues with its use of multiple threads.

I do have interest in bug-reports about my favourite scm and patches to
make it better. So far you have only shown a willingness to discuss
possible problems instead of real-world ones. I've mentally marked you
down as "the threads theory troll". To remedy that sad title, you should
deliver some patches pointing out and fixing problems in the sources.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.