Subject: Re: [PATCH] push: Use sideband channel for hook messages

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:51:56 +0100

Shawn O. Pearce schrieb:
> Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> What would you think about passing both channels to the async callback,
>> and the communicating parties must agree on which channel they communicate
>> by closing the unused one? It would require slight changes to all current
>> async users, though. (It also requires in the threaded case that we pass
>> dup()s of the pipe channels.)
> 
> Yup, I could do that.  I feel like it might be over-engineering the
> solution a bit.  But I'll respin the patch by splitting it apart,
> and doing a bidirectional async here, since you asked nicely.

I do agree about the over-engineering aspect. I mentioned it because in
one patch in the past Erik Faye-Lund also extended the async
infrastructure for bidirectional communication to use it in git-daemon
(Windows port). Meanwhile, he's abandoned this approach because there were
unsurmountable obstacles elsewhere; so if you introduce bidi now, it would
not immediately buy us anything.

It's your draw.

-- Hannes