Subject: Re: Completion of error handling

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:56:48 +0100

On 02/11/2010 02:08 PM, Markus Elfring wrote:
> 
>>
>> What is the likelihood for those function calls to actually fail?
>>
> 
> How do you think about the usual design choices that are described in
> the article "Exception Handling Alternatives" by Detlef Vollmann.
> http://accu.org/index.php/journals/546
> 

That's an awful lot of text to read that's hardly relevant for a C
program. Most of it regards newbie stuff about how to handle reporting
an error when you can't use a C++ exception.

> 
> I propose to write pointcuts for all functions that can return values.
> Some corresponding error codes are checked already. But there a places
> in the source files with open issues for complete software robustness.
> 

You keep on claiming that but haven't proven it in any way. If you
could point out a real bug I'm very, very certain it would be fixed
within 24 hours.

> Are there any chances to encapsulate more cross-cutting concerns as
> reusable aspects?
> 
> Would you like to integrate tools like the following into your software
> development process?
> - AspectC++
>    http://aspectc.org/
> 

Git is written in C, not C++. Using aspectc++ would mean requiring
the use of a C++ compiler, which git doesn't require today. That's
one step backwards in portability which I seriously doubt the
usefulness of aspectc++ can outweigh.

Now please stop trolling and find one of these bugs you keep talking
about but never showing. We've made it painfully clear to you that
we're interested in realworld problems rather than potential ones,
so all this "use this model for development" just reeks of concept
evangelism. No real engineer likes that, which is why you're facing
such massive opposition on this list.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.