Subject: Re: [PATCH] fix threaded grep for machines with only one cpu

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:29:17 +0100

On 02/16/2010 09:00 PM, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
> [...]
>> Notice how your version (xyzzy) broke the cascade of if..elseif..else.
>>
>> Don't they teach this in schools anymore?
>
> What do you expect from academia?  School and real life are still too
> often disconnected.

When I taught C to second-year bachelor students, I think I did a pretty 
good course (*) but it totally lacked time to get into macros, except 
for simple constants.  I did have a student later on that was doing his 
final project with me and came asking what it was.

Another guy I know is teaching an elective "portable programming" course 
that includes pretty much everything you'd expect (including 
bit-twiddling tricks, basic Autoconf, shared libraries, blah blah) but 
that's a graduate-level course.

    (*) and not too disconnected from reality.  One year their final
    one-week project was using cairo for graphics, had a server that
    talked to multiple clients using poll, and I forced them to support
    IPv6.  Shameless plug: http://github.com/bonzini/netrobots

Paolo