Subject: Re: RFD: git-bzr: anyone interested?

From: Gabriel Filion <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 02:05:58 -0500

On 2010-02-18 13:37, Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> By implementing a
> remote helper people can just clone a bzr url, and work with it in the
> exact same way that they would interact with a regular git repository.

This sounds great, it's exactly what I'm hoping to achieve with this
project.

> If you're interested have a look at
> Documentation/git-remote-helpers.txt, and read the mailing list
> archives on the subject.
> 

The Documentation/git-remote-helpers.txt file wasn't really of much help
.. It really only barely scratches the subject, but it does not mention
how remote-helpers really work internally (e.g. how do they get called:
based on protocol used in URLs?)

I'm still trying to dig up information about how to actually build, test
and use a remote helper. I'll probably be reading code for examples.

Another detail hit me: external interaction in git seems like it's
almost always using librairies. If I'm not mistaken, bzr does not have a
separate library. So to have access to it's API, you need bzr to be
installed. This is why the current git-bzr script is using bzr +
bzr-fastimport plugin to do the job.
Is it normal / acceptable for a remote helper to have such dependancies?

And for the language used, maybe python could be logical if I can bind
directly to Bazaar's API. Tell me what you think about this.

-- 
Gabriel Filion