Subject: Re: [PATCH] Wrap RUNTIME_PREFIX warning in a compile-time condition

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:10:42 +0100

Johannes Schindelin schrieb:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Johannes Sixt wrote:
>> Johannes Schindelin schrieb:
>>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Johannes Sixt wrote:
>>>> With this patch, individual developers can disable the warning by setting
>>>>
>>>>    BASIC_CFLAGS += -DNO_WARN_RUNTIME_PREFIX
>>>>
>>>> in config.mak.
>>> Would this option not prefer to be a runtime option?
>> No. The warning is utterly useless IMO and extremely annoying, and the
>> only reason that it still survives is because you disagree. ;-)
> 
> I have been convinced of things before. It just takes a good argument.

The good argument is:

With this patch in upstream git, I have more time to spend on testing
topics from pu and to write new topics on top of vanilla master because I
don't need to apply my private patch all over the place (and back it out
before I submit patches).

Whether the option is compile-time or runtime is secondary. The option is
*for me*,[*] and I prefer it compile-time. *For you* nothing changes
regardless of compile-time or runtime (or do you think you would set the
option?).

[*] As I said, nobody else seems to complain.

-- Hannes