Subject: Re: [PATCH] Allow '+', '-' and '.' in remote helper names

From: Gabriel Filion <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:12:19 -0500

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 02/23/2010 01:33 PM, Ilari Liusvaara wrote:
>> According to relevant RFCs, in addition to alphanumerics, the following
>> characters are valid in URL scheme parts: '+', '-' and '.', but
>> currently only alphanumerics are allowed in remote helper names.
>>
>> Allow those three characters in remote helper names (both 'foo://' and
>> 'foo::' syntax).
> 
> I think '+' could be special-cased in that, for example, "svn+ssh://"
> should still invoke an hypothetic git-remote-svn helper.  There is no
> use yet for this feature, but I'm sure that foreign VCS helpers would
> use it.
> 

Special-casing the + could be useful to simplify support for
"svn::ssh://"-style addresses as both could receive the same URL
("ssh://..").

It would also mean less clutter in the script directory. Instead of
having two scripts, one to catch "helper://.." remote URLs and another
to catch "helper+ssh://.." URLs, the same script would differentiate
between used protocols.

-- 
Gabriel Filion