Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix a signal handler

From: Markus Elfring <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:38:24 +0100

> Name one platform you tried to port git to and had trouble with because
> the platform did not initialize variables in bss segment to zero, or
> perhaps on that platfor NULL had a bitpattern different from all zero, and
> after you initialized them explicitly to zero or NULL, you managed to make
> everything work perfectly.
> 
> Name one platform you actually got a segfault in the early-output codepath
> on it, because a function pointer on that platform is not of an atomic
> type, and the assignment from show_early_output to show done in
> limit_list() picked up a pointer half-written by the signal handler, and
> we ended up calling a garbage address, and you managed to make everything
> work perfectly with your fix.

Thanks for your feedback.

Which is the name for this specific software environment where the "unexpected"
behaviour was observed?

Does the mentioned improvement justify the integration of my intermediate update
suggestion that works without a "static" flag so far into your source code
repository?

Regards,
Markus