Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix a signal handler

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:51:42 +0100

On 02/24/2010 11:38 AM, Markus Elfring wrote:
>> Name one platform you tried to port git to and had trouble with because
>> the platform did not initialize variables in bss segment to zero, or
>> perhaps on that platfor NULL had a bitpattern different from all zero, and
>> after you initialized them explicitly to zero or NULL, you managed to make
>> everything work perfectly.
>>
>> Name one platform you actually got a segfault in the early-output codepath
>> on it, because a function pointer on that platform is not of an atomic
>> type, and the assignment from show_early_output to show done in
>> limit_list() picked up a pointer half-written by the signal handler, and
>> we ended up calling a garbage address, and you managed to make everything
>> work perfectly with your fix.
> 
> Thanks for your feedback.
> 
> Which is the name for this specific software environment where the "unexpected"
> behaviour was observed?
> 

There isn't one. He was asking you to provide a bugreport for a system where
this behaviour was observed to prove that your fix isn't pedantic. Returning
the question does not help.

> Does the mentioned improvement justify the integration of my intermediate update
> suggestion that works without a "static" flag so far into your source code
> repository?
> 

Wait and find out. I consider it useless codechurn since it's not fixing any
real-world problem, but it's not intrusive enough for me to care much either
way, so as long as it doesn't break anything I don't care either way. That's
the big problem, really. You're asking a lot of people to spend a lot of time
on something that we, over and over, have told you we're not interested in
unless you can prove you're solving a real problem.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.