Subject: Re: [RFD] Deepen the git directory structure a bit.

From: Fabian Kössel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:58:52 +0100

On 22.02.2010 23:32, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> I'll queue with a trivial addition of "rm builtin/*.o" to the "make
clean"
> target.  I am not looking forward to merging the result of this with
other
> topics, though... X-<.

Just out of curiosity, how do you actually merge such a relatively big
rename with other branches?

I haven't found a pleasant way yet to merge rename+modification in one
branch and modification on an old path in another branch.

There is git file-merge theirs base ours . But it only seems to take
filenames and no git object specifications. It would be very handy if
something like

git file-merge bfile HEAD^:afile afile

would be possible.

For clearification, here an example

echo "First line" > afile

git add .
git commit -m "First commit in master"

git checkout -b mybranch

echo "Second line in mybranch" >> afile
git mv afile bfile

git commit -a -m "Change and rename in mybranch"

git checkout master

echo "Changed first line in master" > afile

git commit -a -m "changed afile"

git merge mybranch

Regards

Fabian