Subject: Re: [PATCH] git status: ignoring untracked files must apply to submodules too

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 01:55:35 +0100

Am 14.03.2010 01:07, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> First: When called from "git status" run_diff_files() calls
>> wt_status_collect_changed_cb() for every file it considers changed, so
> 
> This reminds me of another thing, perhaps independent, perhaps related.
> Why aren't we collecting the submodule status in wt_status_collect() to
> begin with?  It examines the submodule status in wt_status_print(), but
> that feels quite against the way how the whole "struct wt_status" was
> designed to be used in the first place, I think.  Would restuctuing the
> code that way make this easier to handle?

I'm not sure I understand that, but AFAICS in wt_status_print_changed()
only the fact that at least one submodule is dirty is examined to be
able to print the extra hint line. The status of each submodule is
collected in wt_status_collect_changed_cb(), no?

And while not having being active when "struct wt_status" has been
designed, i think adding submodules to the "change" list when they
are dirty makes kind a sense ... but i might be wrong ;-)