Subject: Re: GSoC draft proposal: Line-level history browser

From: A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 09:19:53 -0400

Bo Yang wrote:
[...]
> For multiple ranges stuff, I don't think it is very useful to support
> it for a history browser. Anyway, our users can only focus on one line
> of thread history. I am very willing to listen what is your use case
> for a multiple ranges?

More than one line range can be related and of interest to a 
forensics/archeology task.

In a simple multi range case, you'd have 2 line ranges in the same file 
that you want to see the history and graph of. Such as 2 related macro 
definitions in a header file.

In a complex multi range case, you'd have many line ranges spread over 
multiple blobs and some of the blobs have disjoint commit graphs.

The complex multi range case may be too much for a GSOC project, and the 
simple multi range case may be also. However, the command syntax should 
be general enough to handle them without being too ugly so that the 
implementation could be improved and expanded later.