Subject: Re: Master branch not updating

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:17:52 +0100

Am 3/22/2010 17:43, schrieb Jacopo Pecci:
> Then I have tried “checkout master branch”, suddenly all the commits
> in between the one labelled [master] and the latest one vanished. I
> have not been able to get back.
> 
> I am terribly afraid I have lost 4 day work. Do you have any
> suggestion? How is it possible that something which I have committed
> is not retrievable anymore.

1. Don't panic.

2. Make a backup copy, *including* the .git directory (very important!)

The .git directory contains your 4 day work, and it is very likely still
retrievable.

It may be a simple matter of

   git branch the-lost-state HEAD@{1}

If you can't work on a command line, then git extensions certainly has
some nice UI that lets you create a branch at a particular revision. In
this case, the branch name is "the-lost-state", and the revision is HEAD@{1}.

You can try more branch names at HEAD@{2}, HEAD@{3} (you get the point).
It means, roughly, "the state where HEAD was 1, 2, 3, etc. git operations
ago".

-- Hannes