Subject: Re: git rev-list formatting

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:52:56 +0100

Eli Barzilay venit, vidit, dixit 23.03.2010 02:57:
> René Scharfe <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Am 22.03.2010 12:30, schrieb Eli Barzilay:
>>> Possible bug -- IIUC, this:
>>>
>>>   git rev-list --pretty="%w(40,2,2)%b" $rev
>>>
>>> should show all bodies wrapped as specified, but with 1.7.0.3 I see
>>> only the first one wrapped, and the rest don't show up.  In one of my
>>> attempts to sort this, I saw all bodies, but all bodies after the
>>> first were not wrapped as specified.
>>
>> I can't reproduce this when running this command against git's own
>> repo.  Or perhaps I just fail to see it.  Is the one you're trying
>> this on public?  Does it work as expected with some other version of
>> git?
> 
> Sorry, I've lost track of all the different things I tried, but here's
> something that I can reproduce reliably now, which seems to be a
> similar problem (or at least nothing in the man page explain why it
> would do what it does).  If this is helpful, I'll tar up the
> repository and put it up somewhere.  This is all running in the repo
> -- and it case it matters, it's a bare repo, created with 1.7.0.

I'd say that certainly matters (can't reproduce this one on non-bare
either).

When you say "in the repo", do you mean that you're current directory is
within yourbarerepo.git? Do you have GIT_DIR set explicitly?

>   $ git rev-list --pretty="%b" foo
> 
> shows one "commit <sha1>" line, then the body, and then the rest of
> the commits (13 of them) with no body at all (just the "commit <sha1>"
> lines).
[snip]

Michael