Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/7] fmt-merge-msg: hide summary option

From: Stephen Boyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:19:32 -0700

On 03/24/2010 07:45 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> We could do that sometime in this autumn timeframe if we start making
> noises when they are used, just like we did during the 1.7.0 transition
> against soon-to-be-deprecated "features".

We already make noises when the option is used. Probably need to make
some noises in release notes though.

> Are there other ancient features we have been passively advertising as
> deprecated that we should now start the removal process?

grepping for deprecated shows mostly deprecated commands:

    git lost-found
    git tar-tree
    git peek-remote (synonym to git ls-remote)
    git init-db (synonym to git init)
    git repo-config (synonym to git config)

I'm pretty sure we don't want to remove them anytime soon though, right?

The only option of interest is 'git reset --mixed' with paths. I don't
really know the backstory on that but it looks like it was deprecated
when the command was made into a builtin 0e5a7fa (Make "git reset" a
builtin., 2007-09-11). Maybe it can become a die now?

Oh and git notes has a deprecation warning but I think we'll probably
have to revisit that one in a few years.