Subject: Re: color (red) for error messages on all git commands

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:43:32 +0100

Alex Riesen venit, vidit, dixit 25.03.2010 00:12:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 23:58, Sverre Rabbelier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 23:44, Neal Kreitzinger <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Desired Solution:  configure git to display all error messages in color,
>>> e.g. red, so that the programmer does not overlook error messages.
> 
> It is considered a good behavior for a UNIX program only to display
> something if there is an error. Git just tries to follow this tradition.

Oh well... Then I presume I'm not the only one who is annoyed by
"Initialized empty Git repository in ...", especially when you clone
locally and that is the only response you get! I'm embracing for the
response to my upcoming RFC...

Note that we also do a lot of progress messages (fetch from remotes,
committing, checking out, ...), and that is why distinguishing
warnings/error messages makes a lot of sense.

>> That's actually something I run into as well, I am so used to git just
>> doing what I want that I don't notice the error messages when they
>> occur. If this is indeed desired (probably controlled by color.warning
>> and color.error?) it should be fairly easy to implement (see usage.c).
> 
> That said, I also like the idea. Don't forget to check for tty in the patch.

Me too :)

Michael