Subject: Re: Help with rebase after cvsimport

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:17:32 +0100

Brice Ruth venit, vidit, dixit 25.03.2010 18:37:
> Posted this to #git but it seemed like everyone was asleep (or clueless)
> 
> [11:22] <Brice> Good morning - I have a quick question on using git
> rebase with git cvsimport - I'm trying to eliminate the duplicate 'cvs
> import' commit created when the cvs import is merged in - I'm just not
> sure what 'rebase' I need to do after a git cvsimport. Help?
> [11:22] <Brice> I'm on master when I do cvsimport
> [11:23] <Brice> cvsimport is run with -r cvs
> [11:23] <Brice> so, am I in the right ballpark thinking I need to git
> rebase cvs?

You have basically 2 options, see, e.g., the last paragraphs of

http://grubix.blogspot.com/2009/11/git-over-cvs.html

It seems you want to go with 1. In that case you need to

git rebase cvs/master master

(you can leave out the second argument if you are on master). Note that
by doing that you basically discard your version of commits which made
the git-cvs-git roundtrip (committed in git, cvsexported to cvs,
cvsimported to git). That's why I use approach 2 mentioned there, but it
depends certainly on your usage scenario, whether cvs is the
central/authoritative repo on which you work with git, or the other way
round.

Cheers,
Michael