Subject: Re: [PATCH] rev-list: heed --abbrev-commit option

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:30:28 +0100

Junio C Hamano venit, vidit, dixit 26.03.2010 20:32:
> Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Currently, rev-list has a default of "0" for abbrev which means that
>> switching on abbreviations with --abbrev-commit has no visible effect,
>> even though the option is documented.
> 
> Hmm, I actually think this was deliberate.  rev-list is designed to be a
> low level machinery for getting full object names, and in that context,
> setting the default abbreviation length to "don't abbreviate" gave us some
> safety, with additional safety of requiring a separate --abbrev-commit
> option to affect the main "show the commit object names" codepath (the
> latter of which would not likely to change).  The caller sets explicitly
> how long an output it wants (see git-rebase--interactive for an example).

My thinking was that unless --abbrev-commit is specified, nothing is
abbreviated, so that one has reproducible (plumbing) behaviour.

I learned that --abbrev= implies --abbrev-commit, but again, this means
explicitly requiring non-plumbing behavior.

> 
> Having said that, I don't think this would break existing scripts, so
> let's queue it and see what happens.

OK!
Michael