Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/2] git-gui: change to display the combined diff in the case of conflicts.

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 10:37:39 +0200

Am 31.03.2010 21:52, schrieb Jon Seymour:
> I agree that removing the options is better than preserving the
> current behaviour,

So, we are in agreement in this. Suppose we do remove them. What remains 
that is dangerous?

The user has no option to accidentally revert changes that are not 
displayed even if the current diff --cc remains. The user is forced to run 
mergetool or to go to the editor.

It is now an orthogonal matter whether diff --cc is helpful. Here I do 
agree somewhat that diff against HEAD is more helpful than the current 
diff --cc.

> I would imagine that a change that proposed to remove the actions,
> without an option to enable them, would encounter stiff resistance
> from the list. However, perhaps the list can respond?

Who knows? There was not a lot discussion when the feature was presented 
to the list, not even a word of excitement.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/94425/focus=94426

-- Hannes