Subject: Re: [PATCH] Makefile: update defaults for modern Cygwin

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 08:03:59 -0600

On 04/02/2010 12:47 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Thanks; as I lack Cygwin environment to test this myself, I'll apply this
> directly on 'master' and see if anybody screams ;-)

Thanks.

> 
>> +	ifneq ($(wordlist 1, 2, $(subst ., ,$(uname_R))),1 7)
> 
> Do we need to update this part when Cygwin 1.8 is released?

Odd numbers are public cygwin releases (1.5, 1.7), even numbers are Red
Hat releases (1.6, 1.8), so cygwin 1.8 already does exist for Red Hat
licensed customers.  It will probably be years before cygwin 1.9/1.10
exists, at which point 1.5/1.6 will be such a distant memory that we
could just delete this block altogether at that time.

>  Replacing
> this with "ifeq(... ,1 5)" may not be an improvement either, unless we are
> sure that nobody is using 1.4 or older, but I wonder if somebody else have
> better ideas?

Nothing short of using $(shell) and doing some actual computation on the
string in $(uname_R).  But that's not too hard, if people think it's
worth it; speak up if you want me to rework it along those lines,
otherwise I'll assume that things are good enough as-is.

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org