Subject: Re: [PATCH] Makefile: update defaults for modern Cygwin

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 08:44:38 -0600

On 04/05/2010 08:30 AM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Eric Blake wrote:
> 
>> Cygwin 1.6 is on par with 1.5 feature-wise, so your cutoff of 1.6 as the
>> last old version is correct.
> 
> Thanks for explaining.
> 
>> ifeq ($(shell case '$(uname_R)' in (1.[1-6].*) echo old;; esac),old)
> 
> Looks good to me.

Junio mentioned he had already queued your first version of the patch;
are you going to re-submit it with this tweak?

> 
> While I have your attention, do you know of a simple way to test
> Cygwin programs under Linux?  setup.exe does not work well under wine,
> so I am asking mostly in the hope that there is a .tar.gz or .zip
> binary distribution somewhere I could play with.

Sadly, the fact that wine is not yet able to run setup.exe is evidence
that wine is still lacking some emulation abilities, and while I am
aware that the situation is trying to be improved, I am not actively
participating in that effort.  For now, I am only aware of the ability
to run cygwin on native windows boxes (including virtual machines).  In
fact, I'm currently using a 240-day evaluation license of Windows Sever
2008 inside a VM to experiment with cygwin on my Linux box, without
having spent any extra money.

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org