Subject: Re: Local unset override global options

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:28:37 +0800

Stefan Hajnoczi venit, vidit, dixit 12.04.2010 16:23:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Michael J Gruber
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> have you tried setting it to an empty value?
> 
> Yes I have tried it.  An empty string causes the SMTP auth Perl module
> to choke.  It expects a non-empty username and exits with an error.
> 
> On my system I have patched git-send-email to perform this check:
> 
> if (defined $smtp_authuser and length $smtp_authuser) {
> 
> This works but feels like a hack.  I think unset override could be
> useful for any git config option, not just sendemail.smtpuser.
> 
> I'm not familiar with git internals; do you have other suggestions for
> solving this issue?

I don't think it's possible to ignore/unset a specific global config
value right now, you can only change the path where that is looked for.
I see two ways to go forward:

- Change users of the config (such as git-send-email) to treat empty
values as unset values.

- Introduce a special value "unset" for config options.

Michael