Subject: Re: [PATCH] patch-id: Add support for mbox format

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:55:35 +0200

On 04/16/2010 08:30 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> >  I have an alias that takes two arguments and compares their patch IDs.
>> >  I would like to use to make sure I've tested exactly what I submit
>> >  (patch by patch), like
>> >
>> >      git patch-cmp origin/master.. file-being-sent
>> >
>> >  However, I cannot do that because git patch-id is fooled by the
>> >  "-- " trailer that git format-patch puts.
>> >
>> >  This patch adds a bit of lookahead to git patch-id in order to detect
>> >  the trailer and split the patch when it comes.  In addition, commit
>> >  ids in the "From " lines are considered and printed in the output.
>
> How well does this interact with mime encoded output?

It doesn't work.  I have a version of the patch that works with it now 
(by parsing hunk headers and looking for a "--" line outside the hunk, 
but I doubt that would satisfy your feeling.

> I somehow have a feeling that this is solving a wrong problem.

In what sense?

In the end the patch id is what matters for the usecase above.  I could 
obtain it in other ways for the "origin/master.." part, but the mbox 
file from "git format-patch --stdout" must be given unmodified to 
git-patch-cmp, otherwise it wouldn't be what I send on the next step.

Paolo