Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] wt-status: take advice.statusHints seriously

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:09:52 +0200

Tay Ray Chuan venit, vidit, dixit 23.04.2010 06:15:
> Hi,
> 
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 4:30 AM, Michael J Gruber
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>                else if (s->untracked.nr)
>> -                       printf("nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use \"git add\" to track)\n");
>> +                       printf("nothing added to commit but untracked files present%s\n",
>> +                               advice_status_hints
>> +                               ? " (use \"git add\" to track)" : "");
> 
> while we're at it, perhaps we could put the hints on its own line,

I don't think I'm the only one to turn sour at every encounter with the
phrase "while we're at it". I did fix one extraneous space in code
"while I was at it", yes, but:

> with a "hint: " prefix:
> 
>   nothing added to commit but untracked files present
>   hint: use "git add" to track
> 
> This way, we give future git usability hackers the space to elaborate
> further on why a certain flag or command was recommended.
> 

I'm suggesting a change in (output) behaviour (hint vs. no hint), which
one may even consider to be a bug fix in terms of matching the obvious
expections related to advice.statusHints false.

You're suggesting a different presentation of the output. In fact, I
noticed inconsistent capitalisation in the hints which should be
adjusted, maybe together with the presentation.

But I deem both changes (overlapping though) unrelated.

Cheers,
Michael