Subject: Re: [patch 00/16] Portability Patches for git-1.7.1 (v4)

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 17:30:53 +0200

Gary V. Vaughan venit, vidit, dixit 27.04.2010 15:57:
> Here are the portability patches we needed at TWW to enable git-1.7.1
> to compile and run on all of the wide range of Unix machines we
> support.  These patches apply to the git-1.7.1 release,  and address
> all of the feedback from the previous three times I posted them to
> this list, including fixing the massive testsuite failures I was
> experiencing and taking into account that the ss_family fixes and
> partial GMT_CMP_TEST fixes that have been pushed since my last post of
> this patch queue.

General remark: None of your patches have a s-o-b line. If you want to
have your patches in git you are required to sign-off on them (commit
-s) in order to certify that you can submit them under the license terms
of the project.

Your diff -> test_cmp are certainly something we want to have in any
case. The code changes look ugly, honestly, making the code much less
readable, but it seems to be the only way to make those older platforms
and compilers happy. (Erik pointed out some good ways to reduce the
uglyness somewhat.)

I can't test your target platform, but I would test the impact of the
code and test changes on mine. Do you have your series somewhere to pull
from?

Michael