Subject: Re: Multiblobs

From: Hervé Cauwelier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 21:06:10 +0200

On 04/30/10 20:16, Michael Witten wrote:
> 2010/4/30 Hervé Cauwelier<[email-masked]>:
>>
>> Unless you are talking about a dedicated application to store and generate
>> on-the-fly office documents, built on top of Git, you're better not touching
>> the contents the user is entrusting git to store, and write a .gitattribute
>> not to compress them in a pack.
>
> Doesn't OOo provide at least some library of official code for
> handling such files, so that other programs might be able to
> interoperate?

I'm not sure what you mean but the only way to interoperate with OOo is 
to run it in "server mode" with at least a framebuffer xorg in the 
background. Then you connect a client and use their RPC/Corba-like API.

OpenDocument libraries all start from scratch, or at least the RelaxNG 
schema to generate validating code.

If the chunks are Zip parts, you're almost done. If you want smarter 
splitting logic like slides in a presentation, sheets in a spreadsheet, 
and pages... no, there is no page in a text; well, you need to go 
through the XML layer or better use a OpenDocument library that 
abstracts it. Other parts in the Zip like styles and metadata are easier 
to split since they are basically a linear collection of objects.

> If so, then it would be almost trivial for an OpenDocument 'plugin' to
> be 'built on top of Git'.
>
> If not, then OOo is crap.

I already had reasons to conclude this. But hopefully OD is an open 
standard, not restricted to OOo.

-- 
Hervé Cauwelier - ITAAPY - 9 rue Darwin 75018 Paris
Tél. 01 42 23 67 45 - Fax 01 53 28 27 88
http://www.itaapy.com/ - http://www.cms-migration.com