Subject: Re: PATCH: Less fragile lookup of gpg key

From: A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 12:26:03 -0400

Grant Olson wrote:
> When signing a tag, git will attempt to lookup your gpg key if you don't
> provide the key id.  Right now, it's a little fragile.  My gpg key uid
> is "Grant T. Olson (Personal Email) <[email-masked]>".  My git user
> info is "Grant T. Olson <[email-masked]>".  Things don't match
> because git doesn't have the comment.
> 
> However, if I lookup just by email, things work perfectly.
> 
> I think doing this would make life much easier for new users, and in the
> case that someone has an OpenPGP key without email (e.g. Ubuntu Master
> Signing Key) we can safely assume they're an expert and will either add
> the key id to their configuration or use -u instead of -s.
> 
> Here's a patch that will try to lookup the user by email only if no
> signing key is provided.  If there is no email, it will still fall back
> to the default generated by git.

Why not fall back to just the email if the full lookup fails?