Subject: Re: [patch 00/16] Portability Patches for git-1.7.1 (v4)

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 20:34:54 +0200

[resent after vger recovery]
Michael J Gruber venit, vidit, dixit 27.04.2010 17:30:
> Gary V. Vaughan venit, vidit, dixit 27.04.2010 15:57:
>> Here are the portability patches we needed at TWW to enable git-1.7.1
>> to compile and run on all of the wide range of Unix machines we
>> support.  These patches apply to the git-1.7.1 release,  and address
>> all of the feedback from the previous three times I posted them to
>> this list, including fixing the massive testsuite failures I was
>> experiencing and taking into account that the ss_family fixes and
>> partial GMT_CMP_TEST fixes that have been pushed since my last post of
>> this patch queue.
> 
> General remark: None of your patches have a s-o-b line. If you want to
> have your patches in git you are required to sign-off on them (commit
> -s) in order to certify that you can submit them under the license terms
> of the project.
> 
> Your diff -> test_cmp are certainly something we want to have in any
> case. The code changes look ugly, honestly, making the code much less
> readable, but it seems to be the only way to make those older platforms
> and compilers happy. (Erik pointed out some good ways to reduce the
> uglyness somewhat.)
> 
> I can't test your target platform, but I would test the impact of the
> code and test changes on mine. Do you have your series somewhere to pull
> from?

OK, unsurprsingly, tests still pass on Linux (Fedora 12 x86_64).
If anyone wants to try, the series can be found at

git://repo.or.cz/git/mjg.git

in branch

gvv/platform-compatibility

applied cleanly on current master.

Cheers,
Michael