Subject: Re: [RFD PATCH] revlist/rev-parse: Introduce --heads and --locals revision specifiers

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 15:43:05 +0200

Jeff King venit, vidit, dixit 02.05.2010 07:00:
> On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 08:36:33PM +0200, Michael J Gruber wrote:
> 
>> Due to the increasing usage of the ref namespace (e.g. notes, replace)
>> the revision specifier "--all" becomes decreasingly useful. But
>> "something like --all" is ineeded for getting a quick overview of
>> the development state of a repository.
>>
>> Introduce --heads and --locals specifiers in order to help with that:
>>
>> --heads == HEAD --branches --remotes
>> --locals = HEAD --branches --tags
> 
> I don't have anything against the concept, but "--heads" is a horrible
> name, as it implies refs/heads (which is of course what --branches does.
> Yikes!). I know why you picked it, and once you think about it, yes, it

I second your Yikes... but won't suggest renaming refs/heads.

> does make some sense (it is all the local and remote heads), but I am
> worried that it will cause confusion.

So, your alternative suggestion is...? ;)

How about --tips? But I don't like that. We really use head as the term
for the tip (ordered end-vertex) of a branch, be it local or remote. I
would hope that ordinary users do not have to deal with the layout under
refs, and thus won't be confused. But people peel and poke everywhere
where there not supposed to :)

Michael