Subject: Re: RFD: tables in documentation

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 17:08:31 +0200

Will Palmer venit, vidit, dixit 02.05.2010 16:51:
> sorry about that, apparently "shift+enter" means "send" to this thing...
> 
> On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 15:43 +0100, Will Palmer wrote:
>> On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 15:31 +0200, Michael J Gruber wrote:
>>> Jeff King venit, vidit, dixit 02.05.2010 07:06:
>>>> On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 08:37:39PM +0200, Michael J Gruber wrote:
>>>> Did you put the source up anywhere? I didn't see it, but it would be
>>>> interesting to see how painful it is to write.
>>>
>>> http://repo.or.cz/w/git/mjg.git/shortlog/refs/heads/doc-use-tables
>>>
>>> Tough guess, I know ;)
>>>
>>> Michael
>>
> 
> that looks suspiciously like a format that's intended to be readable in
> both plaintext and eventually-generated form. This is me speaking in
> pure ignorance, but would something like (though I assume not exactly):
> 
> [cols="1,3*5,8"]
>    |=====================
>    |		   |I		 |H		|M		|Result
>    |     0	   |nothing	 |nothing	|nothing	|(does not happen)
>    |     1	   |nothing	 |nothing	|exists		|use M
>    |     2	   |nothing	 |exists	|nothing	|remove path from index
> .2+|	 3	.2+|nothing   .2+|exists	|exists, H == M |use M if "initial checkout", keep index otherwise
> 						 exists, H != M |fail
>    |=====================
> 
> work as intended?
> 

Uhm, how is that different from my patch (except for spaces which I
didn't bother with for this p-o-c)? [This is AsciiDoc - you know, do
you? ;)]

Jeff doesn't like the ascii art in the roff output (.1, as can be seen
in the .1.txt file). It looks very "strong", just like the content.

Further experimentation (editing the xml) indicates that with my
toolchain, I can either shut off all borders (between cells as well as
outer) or none. Why does working with the toolchain always frustrate me?
It's often a hindrance for improvements.

So, we could shut off all borders by adding an output dependent table
definition in asciidoc.conf, copying current asciidoc's own and
modifying it for docbook-man output. Is it worth it? Maybe others like
the strong ascii borders...

Michael