Subject: Re: Making git work with new remote server

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 18:14:47 +0200

amillican venit, vidit, dixit 03.05.2010 17:59:
> 
>   0  vote down  star
> 	
> 
> I am the CM person for a small company that just started using Git. We have
> two Git repositories currently hosted on a Windows box that is our
> all-purpose Windows server. But, we just set up a dedicated server for our
> CM software on an Ubuntu Linux server named "Callisto".
> 
> So I created a test Git repository on Callisto. I gave its directory all of
> the proper permissions recursively. I had the sysadmin create a login for me
> on Callisto, and I created a key to use for logging in via SSH. I set up my
> key to use a passphrase; I don't know if that could be contributing to my
> problems? Anyway, I know my SSH login works because I tested it through
> puTTY.
> 
> But, even after hours of trials and head scratching, I can't get my Windows
> Git bash (mSysGit) to talk to Callisto for the purposes of pushing or
> pulling Callisto's git repository files. Obviously, when trying a push, I've
> been trying to log into my Callisto account using SSH.
> 
> I keep getting "Fatal error. The remote end hung up unexpectedly." And I've
> even gotten the error that Git doesn't recognize the test repository on
> Callisto as a git repository. I read online that the "Fatal error...hung up
> unexpectedly" is usually a problem with the server connection or
> permissions. So what am I missing or overlooking here? And why doesn't a
> pull using the git:// protocol work, since that only uses read-only access?
> Group and public permissions for the git repository's directory on Callisto
> are set to read and execute, but not write.
> 
> If anyone could help, I would be so grateful. Thank you.

For git:// without ssh you need a running git-daemon on the server.

For helping you more we would need the actual commands you tried and the
exact output.

Cheers,
Michael