Subject: Re: PATCH: Less fragile lookup of gpg key

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 08:07:23 +0200

On 05/04/2010 04:19 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 06:19:17PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>>
>> Meanwhile the original problem here appears to me to be that Git
>> effectively encourages use of multiple valid keys that may have the same
>> e-mail address attached to multiple key-IDs.
> 
> Yes, I think that *is* the problem.  If you want to optimize for the
> common case, that's fine, but it's also useful to have a way for users
> to specify in their gitconfig files that a specific KeyID should be
> used if they are signing with a particular e-mail ID.
> 

Or even better, use the patch with Junio's suggested improvements, so
nothing changes from how things stand today for people with multiple
keys and where git_UID == gpg_UID, but for those where that's not so,
try again with just the mail part when no signing key is configured.

Everything else is theoretical discussion that would best be dealt
with on some crypto-related mailing list where people actually care.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.