Subject: Re: Multiblobs

From: Sergio Callegari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 15:58:10 +0200

On 10/05/2010 08:36, Jeff King wrote:
> Sure. And for those cases, I think clean/smudge filters are perhaps
> already doing the job.
>
>    
As a matter of fact, my idea was exactly to think of a multiblob as a 
git tree (maybe plus a signature).

With this, one can set up a "multiclean" filter, triggered by a filename 
pattern as for a normal filter or by the invocation of "file" to look at 
inner magic.

When this filter is invoked it should take the file to be cleaned as the 
stdin and output a tree at the output, while (as a side effect) 
populating the git storage by the normal blobs pointed to by the tree.

In a complementary fashion, the multismudge filter should receive the 
"multiblob" tree on stdin, and output on stdout the smudged file, 
inspecting the blobs pointed to by the tree to do the work.

This would require having trees as tree entries, and (I guess) also some 
update to the git package machinery, but apart from that should fit well 
with the current clean/smudge approach, nor significantly alter the git 
model.

Sergio