Subject: Git, Mac OS X and German special characters

From: Matthias Moeller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 09:26:03 +0200

Hi,

I have been using git (version 1.7.1) for quite some time to
backup/synchronize folders between my two linux workstations at home and
at work and my Apple laptop. Synchronization works well except for some
strange behavior under Mac OS X (10.6).

I have commited some files with German special characters, say,
"Übersicht.xls" under linux and pulled them on the Macbook. However, on
the laptop git status says:

# On branch master
# Untracked files:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
#
#       "U\314\210bersicht.xls"
nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)

I have been searching the web for help and found lengthy discussions
which state that this is a common problem of the HFS+ filesystem.
What I did not find was a solution to this problem. Is there a solution
to this problem?

Thanks,
Matthias