Subject: Re: serious performance issues with images, audio files, and other "non-code" data

From: John <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 03:01:37 -0400

Ok, fair enough. It's your project, and you are defining "source control" as 
that which git supports: non-binary, line-by-line text only, C, bash .. no 
images, documents, etc.

I only wish that definition of "source" had been more clear from the get-go.

Perhaps a front and center blurb on the git home page or mission statement might 
clarify things for those of us who have different definitions of "source"?  That 
way, you wouldn't have to be bothered by folks trying to version all their 
project assets with git. For example, you could specify that non-text is out of 
scope for git, (or however you wish to define "source").

On 05/23/2010 09:16 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> John<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> Is there any reason why someone would NOT want the above
>> ".gitattributes" defined by default?
>
> Other than that our originally intended target audience are people who use
> git as a source code control system, not much.
>