Subject: Re: What's cooking extra

From: Anthony Youngman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 09:27:00 +0100

On 05/25/10 07:41, Eyvind Bernhardsen wrote:
> The "safe autocrlf" patch fixes this by not trying to normalize any files that are not already normalized in the index.  This is what you noticed: the files do not show up as dirty and will not have their line endings converted.  The tradeoff is that setting "core.autocrlf" no longer normalizes all text files, only new ones and ones that are already normalized.
>
> You (rightly) expected line endings to be normalized to LF when core.eol=lf, and I do need to fix that in the documentation.  Safe autocrlf _only_ works if you want CRLF line endings in your working directory.
>   
Just a suggestion ...
For core.autocrlf (or somewhere else more appropriate) could we add to
false and true the option "force"?

Bearing in mind "force" is always considered "a bit dangerous", that
merely means "I don't care if it has crlf in the repository, change all
commits to lf" (and checkouts to crlf if appropriate).

Yep, things are likely to break, but I'm thinking this is the sort of
situation where a lead dev could say to themselves "I know what I'm
doing, we need to clean up, and if I set that as my options, then I know
I can fix any resulting mess".

Cheers,
Wol