Subject: Migrate from svn to git

From: Matthias Fechner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 17:13:51 +0200

Hi,

I hope that is the correct list to ask some questions.
I understood that the idea behind git is completely different and I like 
the idea behind git.

But for the svn repository I want to convert I need some features and 
I'm not sure how / if to implement them in git.

Corrently the svn repo is divided into trunk branches and tags.
In each of this directory like trunk i have directories like hardware, 
software, docu and more.

For each of this subdirectories I have usergroups defined which has no 
access, read access or rw access.

If I understood the manual correctly I can stick on that structure and 
easily work here with the unix-permission to grant access to the folders?
I think I have to test then acl with freebsd to have more then one group 
for each directory.

The second question is, I someone commits some files with svn an email 
is sent to a svn-commit mailinglist so changes can easily be discussed.
The current mail is sent in html format with a colored diff, so it is 
easier to read.

Is something similar possible with git or do you suggest a complete 
approach?

Thanks a lot for answers.

Bye,
Matthias

-- 
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." -- Rich Cook