Subject: Re: git pull works remotely but not locally

From: Ivan Uemlianin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 16:07:05 +0100

Dear All

Thanks for your comments.

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Ivan Uemlianin<[email-masked]>  wrote:

> >  git-pull is 755, and I can run /path/to/git-pull (I get an error and it
> >  crashes, but I have the permission).
>    

On 27/05/2010 15:47, Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> ...
> That's not supposed to happen, what does it say? Also, is it possible
> you have an old git install lying around? It might be that it's partly
> using the old, and partly using the new install.
>    

On 27/05/2010 15:50, Ramkumar Ramachandra wrote:
> ...
> Your error comes from run-command.c:290 - Maybe it tries to execute
> git-pull and (wrongly) reports that it wasn't able to execute it? What
> error (and return status) do you get when you execute the script
> yourself?
> It looks like there's something wrong with your installation of Git.
> Perhaps you'd like to re-install
>    
The error is like this:

     $ /opt/libexec/git-core/git-pull
     /opt/libexec/git-core/git-pull: line 11: git-sh-setup: No such file 
or directory

I'm calling git-pull from my clone of the repos, so I don't have 
git-sh-setup in my current directory.  That all seems fine: I imagine 
git-pull is not intended to be called directly.

The git is a recent install from source, on a Centos machine.  There was 
no git previous.

As for reinstalling: unless something else is broken, I'm happy with 
"git fetch; git merge origin".  However, I should like to understand why 
git pull is not working.

Best wishes

Ivan

-- 
============================================================
Ivan A. Uemlianin
Speech Technology Research and Development

                     [email-masked]
                      www.llaisdy.com
                          llaisdy.wordpress.com
                      www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

     "Froh, froh! Wie seine Sonnen, seine Sonnen fliegen"
                      (Schiller, Beethoven)
============================================================