Subject: Re: What's the best way to make my company migrate to Git?

From: Andrew Sayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 22:12:49 +0100

I certainly think a "Git Traps for the Unwary" section would go well at
the bottom of the page.  My life would have been much easier if I could
have shown people a page where they could find ways to fix the things
I'd wrongly dismissed as non-problems.

I definitely agree about empty directories - even with Erik's point
about git-svn handling these, it's an issue people will face when they
transfer to git proper.

I'd suggest discussing svn:ignore as part of the wider topic of git's
non-support of SVN properties.  There are probably SVN teams out there
with elaborate sets of properties to migrate, and svn:ignore is a nice
hook to hang that discussion on without sending everyone else to sleep.

I agree that local/remote branches are worth discussing in more detail,
although I'm not sure how to explain it in SVN-friendly terms beyond
"this will seem weird at first, but will make sense eventually".  In
fact this is definitely a trap for the unwary, because the move from
directory-branches to label-branches tripped our migration up when we
had to rewrite tools that expected a "trunk" directory that was
guaranteed to have mainline code.

I think it's also worth mentioning local/remote commits, as it's quite
easy for people to commit and forget to push.

Finally, I agree that stash is certainly worth a mention - I'd also
suggest explaining how it's useful with `git svn rebase` and with
switching branches.  So I'd recommend putting it after both of those
sections.

I hope to have some writing time available this weekend, though that
could easily not happen.  So if someone else wants to have a crack at
it, be my guest :)

	- Andrew