Subject: Re: What's the best way to make my company migrate to Git?

From: Andrew Sayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 22:27:28 +0100

On 02/06/10 08:15, Michael J Gruber wrote:
> 
> Andrew's main thrust is how to migrate a team, not how to migrate a code
> base, and even less about the technical differences between svn and git.
> And that makes it especially valuable.

I'm glad you like it, and I've now finished version 2.  I think I've
covered most of the points raised in this thread without getting too far
into technical issues that I agree belong on a different page.

As well as a few typographic upgrades, I've added some text to the "Git
as an SVN client" section - warnings for the issues that Daniele
mentioned, and explaining git issues to SVN users.  I remember now the
mental anguish I went through trying to explain what a local index is,
so I thought I'd save other people the bother :)

As promised, I've also added a "traps for the unwary" section, although
I'm quite tempted to make it a page on its own.  The intended audience
and writing style is necessarily quite different, and it awkwardly bulks
up the table of contents.  I'll probably leave it there unless it gets
any bigger or people think splitting it out is a particularly good idea.

One issue I haven't addressed is unpushed commits.  I want to write
something like "consider setting GIT_PS1_SHOWUNPUSHED to remind people
when they have committed but not yet pushed", so I'm going to see if I
can add support to git-completion.bash for such an option.

	- Andrew