Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] commit.c - provide commit-type to the hooks/pre-commit script

From: Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 22:55:27 -0400

On 06/07/2010 02:38 AM, Jeff King wrote:
> Actually, I meant to provide the hook with the literal words "HEAD~1"
> and "HEAD", not the sha1. So they are effectively magic words, but they
> also happen to be useful for directly feeding to git commands.
>
> It also extends naturally to indicating a merge commit ("HEAD" or
> "HEAD~1" followed by some other ref). I don't know if that is useful or
> not, but it seems like the same realm of information as whether or not
> we are amending.
>
> -Peff
>
>    
I agree with this, though I have no itch regarding all of the commit 
parents for a merge commit so I'll leave that for another to scratch. 
So, I'm sending a new series to use HEAD~1 and HEAD rather than amend 
and normal.

Mark