Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] Add optional parameters to the diff option "--ignore-submodules"

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 22:41:12 +0200

Am 08.06.2010 19:28, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> The above outline (I haven't looked at the code) sounds sane.  We might
> even want to make untracked (or dirty) the default, if nothing is given
> from the command line nor configuration.

Hm, as far as I interpreted the postings here, "none" should be a
reasonable default for most users because it protects them from errors
that are easy to make and hard to detect.

IIRC there are two main exceptions which want a different setting:

 - Huge submodules which take a substantial portion of time to scan may
   want "dirty" to avoid spending the extra time (at least until we have
   an inotfiy daemon ;-).

 - Submodules where the provider doesn't care or is not able to provide
   a proper .gitignore for other reasons want "untracked" to avoid the
   noise.

(Anything I missed?)

And these seem to fall into the category: If you are unlucky enough to
have one of these included in your superproject, configure these to use
"dirty" or "untracked" as appropriate. And AFAICT they are more the
exception than the rule so I came up with this proposal of a per
submodule configuration, so people won't have to turn off submodule
checking for all submodules because of a single special one.

> I don't see a reason for patch 1/2, though.

Ok, I will drop that from the next round.