Subject: Re: Make "git am" properly unescape lines matching ">>*From "

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 13:54:32 -0700

On 06/08/2010 01:47 PM, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 12:57:23 -0700, Carl Worth <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I'm adding support to notmuch[1] to more easily pipe a thread full of
>> But I noticed that "git am" wasn't removing any of these added '>'
>> characters, so I was getting corrupted commit messages.
> 
> I've also noticed that format-patch is generating bogus mbox files
> without any escaping. (The only way it gets away with this is that
> mailsplit only treats "From " lines as separators if they end with
> something that looks quite a bit like the output of asctime.)
> 

At the same time, it would be a fairly major lose to not be able to
generate individual messages easily.  I have personally considered the
fact that git format-patch produces something-vaguely-like mboxes rather
than individual plain RFC 2822 messages to be a bug; fixable by "tail"
but annoying.

	-hpa