Subject: Re: RFC: Making submodules "track" branches

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 09:09:48 +0200

Am 09.06.2010 01:19, schrieb Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 23:09, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be enough to say --ignore-submodules for your day-to-day work,
>> without lying in the gitlink entry in the superproject tree?  An entry
>> "submodule.foo.branch = fred" in your .gitmodules will still tell your
>> local git to update the submodule worktree to work on 'fred' branch.  At
>> least, an arrangement like that would allow the build infrastructure to
>> use --no-ignore-submodules when running its equivalent of GIT-VERSION-GEN
>> to notice that what you are building is using something different from
>> what the superproject specified to use in the submodule, while not bugging
>> you with differences you do not care about (or you already know about and
>> are irrelevant to the change you are working on).
> 
> Yes I think that's even better, to have no entry in the superproject's
> tree at all, and just a repo/branch pair in .gitmodules.

Thats not how I understood Junio proposal, but an alternative to using
0{40} could be to just drop the submodule entry from the tree. You get the
same result, but maybe less problems with older versions of git.

> Less confusion and the same features.

Not knowing the version of a submodule looks to me like a very powerful
source of confusion, but maybe thats just me ;-)