Subject: Re: [RFC] ll-merge: Normalize files before merging

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 07:49:41 +0200

Am 6/10/2010 22:48, schrieb Eyvind Bernhardsen:
> Currently, merging across changes in line ending normalization is
> painful since all lines containing CRLF will conflict uselessly.
> 
> Fix ll-merge so that the "base", "theirs" and "ours" files are passed
> through convert_to_git() before a three-way merge.  This prevents
> differences that can be normalized away from blocking an automatic
> merge.

I think you are going overboard here. Normalization should only happen
only for data that moves from the worktree to the database. But during a
merge, at most one part can come from the worktree, methinks; you are
normalizing all three of them, though.

> This patch has already been useful to me, but I'm not sure it is the
> best possible solution to the problem (especially in terms of
> efficiency), hence the RFC.
> 
> Note that clean and ident filters will also be run, which might be a
> good thing.  Also, the tests require my crlf/text series from pu.
> --
> Eyvind

Please do not put a dash-dash-blank line before the patch; Thunderbird
takes it as the beginning of the signature and truncates the message in
the reply.

-- Hannes