Subject: Re: [RFC] ll-merge: Normalize files before merging

From: Eyvind Bernhardsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:34:47 +0200

On 11. juni 2010 07:49, Johannes Sixt wrote:
> Am 6/10/2010 22:48, schrieb Eyvind Bernhardsen:
>> Currently, merging across changes in line ending normalization is
>> painful since all lines containing CRLF will conflict uselessly.
>>
>> Fix ll-merge so that the "base", "theirs" and "ours" files are passed
>> through convert_to_git() before a three-way merge.  This prevents
>> differences that can be normalized away from blocking an automatic
>> merge.
>
> I think you are going overboard here. Normalization should only happen
> only for data that moves from the worktree to the database. But during a
> merge, at most one part can come from the worktree, methinks; you are
> normalizing all three of them, though.

Well, that's sort of the point.  All three are normalized to (hopefully) 
minimize the differences between them, increasing the chance of a 
successful merge.

The problem I'm trying to solve is that "base" and "theirs" were not 
normalized when the files were added to the database, and this causes 
unnecessary conflicts with "ours".  Normalizing "ours" allows merging 
the other way to work, too.

It's a brute-force method, and there may be a smarter way, but it works 
for me.

[...]

> Please do not put a dash-dash-blank line before the patch; Thunderbird
> takes it as the beginning of the signature and truncates the message in
> the reply.

Oops, sorry!
-- 
Eyvind