Subject: Re: [PATCH] Bugfix: grep: Do not colorize output when -O is set

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 22:19:03 +0200

Am 06.07.2010 21:38, schrieb Jonathan Nieder:
> Hi,
> 
> René Scharfe wrote:
> 
>> Hmm, but with --open-files-in-pager without argument or -Oless colours
>> may be handled correctly and desirable.
> 
> Sorry I missed this before.  Is there really a pager that will accept
> \e[36m as a command-line argument and do something reasonable with it?

I was missing that -O enforces -l, and that it makes the pager open all
files directly from the worktree, one by one.  Somehow I assumed that it
would pipe something like the output of "grep -h -C inf" to the pager,
colour marks and all -- similar to what is done without -O, except that
it would start a new pager for each file.

I think the "pager" part of the long option name confused me, but that's
a weak excuse.  Just ignore me, your original patch was fine.

[snip]
> Probably a better solution is to recommend -C option, possibly
> implementing -C infinity so people don’t have to use -C 1000000.

Hmm, that could be useful, also with -A and -B.

René