Subject: Re: serving git with both "git:" and "http:" and submodules

From: Brad King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:07:19 -0400

On 07/14/2010 11:39 AM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Boaz Harrosh wrote:
>> So my question is: Can I automate this so people with "http:"
>> clones are not forced to manually edit their config files?

Almost.

> Of course, even this would not make
> 'git clone --recursive http://my-domain.org/trees/my-tree/.git'
> work.

Firewall-ed users can just run

$ git config --global url.http://my-domain.org/.insteadOf git://my-domain.org/

*once* per user per machine, or even

$ git config --global url.http.insteadOf git

if they want to be really aggressive.  After that they can just
pretend to use the git protocol and all URLs will be mapped under
the hood:

  git clone --recursive git://my-domain.org/...

-Brad