Subject: Re: Automatically exclude hunks from the commit

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:26:20 +0200

Joshua Jensen venit, vidit, dixit 20.07.2010 05:02:
>   I have some files I update frequently where I have some normally 
> commented out debug code purposely uncommented during development.  
> Git's hunk-level staging saves the day.  I can stage everything but the 
> debug code without issue.
> 
> This got me to thinking.  Is there a better way?  Is there a facility in 
> Git where I could mark a hunk as 'permanently frozen unstaged'?  
> Anything marked as such would never be staged for commit.  I could rest 
> assured I would never accidentally commit my debug code, be it extra 
> printfs or a development server or a password or so on.
> 
> Thanks for the help.
> 
> Josh

If you don't want to deal with the branch approach suggested by the
other Joshua you could (ab)use the clean&smudge filters (see "filter" in
gitattributes(5)):

Define a clean filter such as "fgrep -v GITIGNORE" and mark every source
line which you want to ignore with a comment:

printf("Happy we got this far but I have no clue why"); // GITIGNORE

You can do more clever things with awk or sed, of course. "GITIGNORE" is
just some hopefully unused string.

Note that a "checkout" would overwrite your debug lines!

Cheers,
Michael