Subject: unpack failed --- is my repos broken?

From: Ivan Uemlianin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:42:29 +0100

Dear All

I have several git repositories on a server, with which I'm 
communicating using smart-http.  Push and pull is all going fine.  Until 
this morning, one of the repositories is not allowing pushes:

     $ git push
     Password: ...
     Counting objects: 5, done.
     Delta compression using up to 2 threads.
     Compressing objects: 100% (3/3), done.
     Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 410 bytes, done.
     Total 3 (delta 2), reused 0 (delta 0)
     error: unpack failed: unpack-objects abnormal exit

Other repositories on the same server (and under the same /var/www/git/ 
directory) are working fine.

I have googled around and this doesn't seem to be an uncommon problem, 
but I haven't found a solution.

Does the above mean this repository is broken and I should rescue or 
replace it (as in "How to fix a broken repository?" on the git wiki [1])?

Is smart-http not entirely reliable?  In which case what is the 
preferred way to communicate remotely (we need to push as well as pull; 
there are a very small number of active developers)?

With thanks and best wishes

Ivan

[1] How to fix a broken repository?
     
http://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitFaq#How_to_fix_a_broken_repository.3F

-- 
============================================================
Ivan A. Uemlianin
Speech Technology Research and Development

                     [email-masked]
                      www.llaisdy.com
                          llaisdy.wordpress.com
                      www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

     "Froh, froh! Wie seine Sonnen, seine Sonnen fliegen"
                      (Schiller, Beethoven)
============================================================